Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tricks Of The Trade - Venue and Musician Management


I have been in Second Life since early 2008 and in that time I have built up a great career managing musicians and venues, as well as doing PR and Marketing and various other ventures. Currently I manage the music career of Mankind Tracer/Seth Regan, who is also my business partner in the Tracer|Birman Agency and The Village & Club Graffiti and I manage two venues for Solace Beach Estates. In the past I have managed such performers as Craig Lyons and Guitar Zane. Currently I am also co-producing and the creator of the Where Is The Concert? HUNT.

Often I am approached by people asking for advice on one or the other by both friends and strangers. Friends I will help as my time permits, however, a stranger seeking advice might get a little but I have worked really hard over the past almost 4 years to acquire the knowledge I have. I think that the learning process itself was very valuable as well.

After a lot of thought about the advice I give and all my years of experience, I have decided to offer two workshops. One on live music venue management and the other on musician management.

The workshop on LIVE MUSIC VENUE MANAGEMENT will including things like: Promotion, hiring staff, tips, hiring musicians, the art of negotiation, what to do when the unexpected happens, gestures, hosting, and other topics that are important to running a successful venue in Second Life. There is much more to owning a venue than renting land, putting up a stage/building and hiring a musician. Venue ownership is a business and in order to be successful you need to make sure to arm yourself with knowledge.

The MUSICIAN MANAGEMENT workshop will include interesting topics such as: Promotions, getting paid, getting your musician paid, building an audience, gestures, negotiating, booking info, hosting, dress for success, finding new venues, groups, scribos, stalkers, what to look for in a quality venue, social networking sites, giving back to the community, charity events and networking in SL. Just like venue management, being a musician manager is a job and should be taken seriously. You should want to do everything in your power to help further the career of the musician you manage.

If you would like more information and pricing for either workshop you may email me at brandy@tracerbirman.com or contact me in SL where my name is Kalli Birman. Please send me an email or notecard with your SL name (NOT your display name), what venue or musician you manage and what you would like to get from the workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment