Friday, April 26, 2013

Sock Puppets and Quality Time


I have three children, ages 16,13 and 6 (girl, boy, boy), who are my heart and soul. I've been very fortunate to be able to work from home for the past 3 years, allowing me more time with my kids than someone who might work a more traditional job. My daily schedule allows for some flexibility for doctor appointments, being home with sick kids and being here when they get home from school. If you have the discipline to work from home, do it!


Van and the sock puppets we made.
I've always felt that kids have to grow up too fast. I've always tried to monitor what they are exposed to, so they don't have to grow up any quicker. I preview TV shows and movies, avoid toys that I think send the wrong message and have tried to raise my kids with the same old fashioned morals and values that my grandparents instilled in me.One of the lessons that is very important to me to impart on my kids, is that a good time doesn't have to cost a lot of money. I try to find things to do with the kids that are free or cheap and make it a lot of fun. 
Recently my youngest and I took old socks and a couple of dollars of googly eyes, colorful pipe cleaners and craft glue and made sock puppets. We didn't stop at just making them, we also gave them names and personalities. He was thrilled and played with the sock puppets for days.
He loves watching what I do on the computer. One thing I do with him sometimes is wear a dragon avatar in Second Life and let him fly around the sim. It is very entertaining for him and me but it also gives us time to bond over technology.
There are so many things you can do that takes more time than money! I really encourage you to just do a Google search for things like "Free Activities for Kids" or "Cheap Kids Projects". Put away the credit card and just spend time with your kid doing something fun. That is the thing they really want the most, your time.






No comments:

Post a Comment