Friday, March 2, 2012

Second Life Business Basics: Promotions

People work hard to create things in Second Life...clothing, venues, land, music and so much more. They put their time and effort into these things and then don't do a whole lot to promote it. That just doesn't make sense to me.Why create something and not give it some exposure and promotion?

I understand that creating things takes a lot of time but finding time to promote is so important. With SL businesses, artists and content creators, there are many avenues to promote yourself.

For musicians and venues, there are a lot of event based groups that you and or your manager can join to send notices for your shows. Social media is also a great outlet to get the word out about your shows. There is even Second Friends, a social media website created just for SL residents, which is totally free to join, create a group and post events. Also, look at things like Facebook, Twitter and Google+ because there are tons of SLers on them. There are resources out there, you just need to start using them. Also, I cannot stress enough to venue owners, POST YOUR EVENTS IN SL EVENTS... and make sure you use the musician's name in the listing. People looking in the events want to know which musician is playing and when... unless you are a place like The Rose Theatre with a big built in audience that knows The Rose always employs quality entertainment, then Bob Avatar doesn't care about " John Doe's Music Shack", they want to know who is playing there. Try posting the description like (Musician's Name ) @ John Doe's Music Shack


Content creators also have groups in SL they can join to send things to bloggers for review or to send notices to about new releases and sales. Again just like with musicians and venues, social media is a great outlet. Business can join Second Friends as well and create groups, you cannot post things for sale in the blogs, but you can post whatever you want on your page and to your group. You can also utilize SL Events because there is a commercial category.


Seth also has posted blogs with marketing and business suggestions, you can check out his blog HERE

This is just a few simple basic things you can and should do to promote yourself and what you create. If you need further help with promotion, marketing, website design, or the many other services that the Tracer|Birman Agency has to offer please email Seth or I at info@tracerbirman.com


1 comment:

  1. For those of you who have the comments on my blog post "Bad Business Practices" by "Occupy SL Music", I would like to let you know that "Occupy" has submitted two comments to this post that does not actually address what I posted about but is just name calling and mud slinging. I will not approve these comments.

    I am happy to approve comments that disagree with the actual content of my blog, I'm always open to other people's opinion, but I will not allow blantant mud slinging. If "Occupy" wants to address me privately and disclose who they are, I will be happy to discuss my post and it's contents but again, I will not allow trolling.

    ReplyDelete