Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Battle of Chemotherapy Part 2

chemo, chemotherapy, hair
Before cutting my hair to donate.
My hair has always been a source of vanity for me. Right before I started chemo, it was very long and black and shiny. I loved it and knowing I was going to lose it, made me a little sad but I decided that instead of being sad, someone else should benefit.

So I took my hair when it was completely dry and made small ponytails up to my shoulders. I took the scissors and started cutting right above the ponytail holder. I decided that before I lost my hair, I would donate 12 inches of it to help others. It was empowering to know that my loss could help someone else. If you are planning on doing the same, remember to do this when your hair is totally dry because I read that often the donations cannot be used because the hair is damp when cut. When it is sent out over a few days time, the damp hair will mildew and becomes unusable.

hair donation, hair loss
After cutting my hair to donate.
After I had the donation hair cut off, I was able to trim it up to a cute chin length bob that had a some long parts in the front. After all I was only 38 at the time and still wanted to look cute and cool.

About 2 weeks after my round of chemotherapy, my hair starting coming out. At first it was about 10-15 strands  when I would run my fingers through it. The by the next day it was more like 50-75 through my brush.

I wanted to take ownership of my hair loss. I have 3 kids and decided to wait for them to be home from school before I did anything because I didn't want them to come home and mom be bald and be all shocked.
chemo, hair loss, losing hair, chemotherapy
After shaving my head.

So that night after dinner, I told my youngest that we were going to cut mom's hair. My two teenagers kinda just shrugged it off and to be honest, it was the 7 year old I was most concerned about anyways. I grabbed my clippers and my little boy and I went into the bathroom and I explained to him that I was losing my hair because of the medicine I was taking and we were going to shave it off. So with him in there with me, I took a #1 guard and started shaving. I took control. The next day I went to a salon and had them shave it down more because it was hard getting the back and they could do it with out a guard on.

I still had some stubble that never completely fell out no matter how much I massaged my head. Some people find it very itchy or uncomfortable and will choose to use a razor to get it all the way off.

One of my ways of having fun with the hair loss was cool wigs. Who says you have to have a traditional color? On ebay and amazon you can find cos-play wigs (from China mostly)

Wig, Chemo, Cancer, CTX
of every color and style. I have previous had nontraditional colored hair in my life so this was not a huge stretch for me. Also, when my eyebrows finally fell out one month after chemo ended, I decided that it was time for me to be artistic. So every day I used liquid eyeliner and drew on some very interesting eyebrows.

I made the choice to make this into a positive thing and have fun with it. I didn't want to be depressed about my hair, so I just took ownership and basically said "Screw you cancer!"

Don't misunderstand me, I did have a sadness about losing my hair. I took a couple of days to feel sad but then I had to suck it up because being sad did not help me keep my hair.

Part 3 in the Battle of Chemotherapy will be about eating, fingernails and more side effects.
drawn on artistic eyebrows
2 months post-chemo, got some fuzz coming in.
cancer, hair lose, wigs



2 comments:

  1. Brandy, I love your take-charge attitude and fun-loving spirit! You look terrific in your new 'do. I had never thought about painting on fun eyebrows every day--what a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandy, (first of all sorry for my english as I'm from Spain) I came across your blog looking for information cause my (24y.o) mom (60) was diagnosed with endometrial cancer as well, she just came out from the hospital cause she had her hysterectomy on Tuesday, everything was OK and now we need to wait 3 weeks for the results. I'm really scared and worried but seeing your attitude lifts me up a bit.
    I wish you all the best with your treatment and really hope this is a stressful part of your life you will laugh about many years from now, btw i love your wigs (: Keep fighting and don't give up

    ReplyDelete