Friday, December 30, 2011

Too Revealing for SL?


In terms of SL fashion I have always been, what I thought to be, rather conservative. Recently, however, my 15 year old daughter, Sam, was by the computer and saw my avatar in the outfit pictured above and commented to me, "Shouldn't you put more clothes on her?"

This comment got me thinking...

I understand there is much more revealing clothing in Second Life... jeans with the butt half showing, tops cut down to the navel or cut up to expose the bottom of the breasts and I choose not to wear those sorts of clothing. I am a professional in SL and see my avatar as an extension of myself, therefore, I like to dress in things that are not going to show my bits. Often I put jeans or leggings under skirts and dresses that I consider too short or a cami or tank top under very low cut shirts. However, I ask this... Have we become so desensitized in Second Life that we aren't aware of how revealing things really are?

My avatar is curvy by choice and sometimes I cannot wear the same things a slender avatar can wear because it just becomes indecent on my curvy shape, so I keep that in mind when choosing outfits. The above outfit was for a live music event at a club, for a meeting I would most certainly choose something that suits the meeting.

However, my computer is in my living room and my three children are around all the time and I do not hide my Second Life from the kids. Having a teen daughter, I now really have to consider what I put on my avie because she can see what I am wearing and I need to set a good example for her.

That's my food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment